Frequently Asked Questions


From time to time, you may have questions about your bill, payment options or simply about ways to save money by using energy or water efficiently. The answers to most frequently asked questions from residential customers are below. If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please e-mail us at or call us at (830) 629-8400 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Starting and Stopping Service

Utility bill payment options
Understanding your utility bill





Can I apply for service over the phone?
Yes. Please call one of our Customer Service Representatives at (830) 629-8400 or (830) 606-2074 (San Antonio metro). The application process may be completed over the phone or an application can be sent to you to fill out and return by fax or mail. Our fax number is (830) 629-2119.
What is needed when applying for service?
In addition to the completed application, you will also need to provide us with your Social Security number and a copy of your driver's license or a valid Texas ID.
Do I have to pay a deposit?
Yes, a deposit is required to initiate service. NBU requires a two-month estimated billing deposit which is determined by the average billing history for the location that is being applied for. When applying for a newly constructed home the deposit will be based on the square footage of the home. One-half of the deposit is due when making application for service and the balance of the deposit will be billed by NBU on the first monthly billing.
Can I get the deposit waived?
NBU will waive the deposit if you have established an acceptable credit history. This includes:
  • At least 24 months of continuous service.
  • An NBU credit score of “B” or better for the past 24 consecutive months.
  • If a customer moves out of the NBU service area then returns to the NBU service area, within 12 months or less, the customer’s prior NBU credit history and payment record will be considered in lieu of a deposit.
An existing NBU customer may transfer services to another location with no deposit requirement as long as they have a credit score of “B” or better for the last 24 consecutive months. In lieu of a deposit, an approved Letter of Credit with no more than two late payments in the last 12 months from the immediate past electric utility company may be submitted.
We will also waive the deposit if the account is guaranteed by another individual who currently has service with NBU and meets the following qualifications:
  • Current NBU residential customer.
  • Consecutive service for 24 months or more.
  • Maintained an NBU credit score of “B” or better for the last 24 consecutive months.
  • A Guarantor for no more than 3 residential accounts at any one time.
Do I get my deposit back?
The deposit will be held for a period of time not less than 24 months and then refunded at the discretion of New Braunfels Utilities only if the account maintains an NBU credit score of “B” or better. Interest will be calculated for security deposits held by NBU from the date the deposit is received.  The interest rate is based on the United States Treasury Bills less 25 basis points (.25 percent). PLEASE NOTE: If a customer leaves NBU’s service area before the 24 months, the deposit will be applied to the final balance. A complete explanation of deposit requirements and credit ratings can be found in the NBU Service Conditions Policy.
What is needed to discontinue service?
To discontinue residential service, you can fill out a disconnect notice at our office or bring in, fax or mail a signed letter requesting disconnection and indicating the disconnection date. You will also need to direct NBU where to send your final bill. You can send a fax to NBU at (830) 629-2119 or mail the request to NBU, Attn: Customer Service, P.O. Box 310289, New Braunfels, TX 78131-0289.
Can I pay my utility bill using a credit card?
Yes. Residential customers may call our Customer Service Division to pay your residential utility bill over the phone. The number is (830) 629-8400. You can pay using your Visa or MasterCard credit card. All you need is your account number, the last four digits of the primary account holder's Social Security Number and your credit card. You will receive a confirmation number after the transaction has been completed.
Can I pay my utility bill online?
Yes. NBU offers a online program called e-Care. It allows you to view your bill and pay your bill online. You can pay by electronic check from your checking or savings account or by a Visa or MasterCard credit card. Register your account by clicking on the Pay Your Bill link in the upper right of the home page.
Can I change the due date for my bill?
Yes. NBU has a program called Pick Your Due Date. The dates available are the 4th of the month and the 18th of the month. AutoDraft is required to be setup on the NBU account to enable the change of due date on the account.
What is Budget Billing?
Budget Billing is designed to ease the impact of higher seasonal electric bills by spreading your bills into 11 equal monthly payments with the twelfth month serving as the reconciling month. Budget Billing will help you plan ahead by letting you know exactly what your monthly payments will be. Customers who would like to participate will also be signed up for the AutoDraft Program, which will simplify their entire bill paying process. With AutoDraft, a customer still receives a statement indicating the amount that will be automatically deducted from their bank account on the date the NBU bill is due. NBU customer service representatives are ready to explain the details of the program to interested customers. They can be reached by calling the NBU Main Office at (830) 629-8400.
What are other payment options?
In addition to paying online or over the phone with a credit card, you can also pay your bill by mail, by using the Western Union Convenience Pay service at participating area stores, in person or through the free NBU Auto Draft monthly payment program.
What can I do when I can't pay?
It is important to contact our Customer Service Division before your bill is due to try to make arrangements for a payment option. Late fees are automatically added to accounts if the bill is not paid by the due date before 5 p.m. Making payment arrangements will avoid the risk of disconnection, but you remain responsible for the late fees if you pay after 5 p.m. on the due date. Please call NBU Customer Service at (830) 629-8400 during business hours if you need to discuss payment arrangements. Learn more about our credit policies.
When is my payment due?
Customers will have at least 21 days from the billing date within which to pay the amount due by 5:00 p.m. without being subject to a late charge. Late fees can be applied to any and all charges billed to the customer by NBU including utility service fees and miscellaneous charges. The due date will be specified on the billing statement. Customers will have at least 10 days following the stated due date within which to pay the amount due, plus late charges, prior to being subject to disconnection of service.
What are the availability charge, the delivery and energy charges, and the PCRA charge on my bill?
Our monthly availability charge covers administrative costs, like reading and servicing your meter, preparing and mailing bills, and maintaining and updating billing records and applicable franchise fees. Our delivery charge reflects the costs relating to poles, lines, transformers, etc., associated with delivering electricity from its source to your home. The energy charge reflects the costs of producing electricity. The Power Cost Recovery Factor (PCRA) is the amount of your bill attributable to fuel required to make electricity. The PCRA is not included in your base rate. This is calculated each month based on the power bills we receive from wholesale suppliers. 
How do I report an outage or service issue?
Please call our Systems Control Center at (830) 629-4NBU (4628). If you need to speak to a Customer Service Representative about your account, please call (830) 629-8400.
Who do I call if I have questions about or problems with my garbage or recycling services?
Both of these services are provided by the City of New Braunfels. NBU bills these services as a courtesy for the City. If you have questions or problems with either of these services, please contact the City Solid Waste and Recycling Division at (830) 221-4040, email or go online to
Do I need to be present to have my service connected or reconnected?
In most cases you do not have to be present when your service is connected or reconnected.
If my trees are growing into power lines, will you cut them?
If your trees are growing into the transmission or distribution power lines, please call NBU’s 24-hour Dispatch at (830) 629-4NBU (4628). Learn more about properly planting trees and shrubs to reduce interference with power lines and equipment here.
How can I save money on my electric and water bills?
You can find many money saving tips on our web site under the Conservation tab. NBU also offers free energy and water audits for commercial and residential customers to help identify areas in your business or home where you might realize savings. To schedule an audit, please call (830) 608-8926.
Does NBU offer rebates for water or energy conservation investments?
A number of rebates are offered for both water and energy conservation investments. A complete list of rebates is available under the Conservation tab. You can also call one of our Resource Conservation Technicians at (830) 608-8926 and they will be happy to provide you with more information.